Ban on sticky pistons and repeaters

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by RunicFigment, Feb 5, 2014.

?

Should the ban on these items be lifted?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. No

7 vote(s)
    58.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RunicFigment

RunicFigment New Member

I personally think the ban on these two items should be lifted. Most if not all of the duplication glitches involving them are fixed, and if used correctly, cause minimal lag. Both are an important element in some of the better cobble generators, such as this one:

among other fun creations. Any thoughts on this?

2. Yoowy

Yoowy Expert Member

If they're banned items, the staff must've had pretty good reasons to do so. I don't exactly know why, but I think it was a lag issue.

3. RunicFigment

RunicFigment New Member

I don't see how those two things could cause significant lag unless the machine they were used in was on constantly and/or ridiculously complex.
    Edit: Those that voted no, care to explain why?

#3 RunicFigment, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  4. Thrawt

Thrawt Expert Member

There have been multiple threads about Redstone Repeaters and a few on Slime Balls/Sticky Pistons. There is a search feature for the forums now, please in future use it before posting a new topic.
    Repeaters can be used to make clocks, which can cause significant lag. Remember that there is usually 100+ players connected to Skyblock. Last time I checked there were ~100k members that have been logged on to Skyblock at some point (check /baltop for the user count). Lets just say 10k people make Redstone clocks and leave them running, how much lag would there be? It is impossible to enforce a rule "You must turn off your Redstone clocks before you log out"
    As for Sticky Pistons, they are banned because of the potential to grief and duplicate.

5. RealNickonator

Premium

People like to create a lot of rapid redstone clock..... its annoying

6. RunicFigment

RunicFigment New Member

Are there any dupe bugs with sticky pistons in the current release (don't say specifics, please.)? Also, you can make clocks with red stone torches and dust (albeit slower.) My main problem with the ban is it makes it so I cannot make some of the best Cobble generators (they have an annoying habit if having somewhat complex red stone.) maybe we could compromise and allow donators to have the items? It would be a good incentive to donate. Also, isn't there a 2k limit on players?

#6 RunicFigment, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  7. Thrawt

Thrawt Expert Member

Dupes? Not that I am aware of. I am aware you do not need Repeaters to make clocks. The fact remains Repeaters cause lag, hence will not be added.

8. matthew fletcher

matthew fletcher New Member

i think that they should bring back sticky pistons can't see anything wrong with that but they say because of grefing
    but i can see how repeater could course lag issues but the resin why you want them back is void in the sense you can make better cobble stone gen and smothe stone gen better than the one you put up on youtube link
    if you where to come to my island i could show you its warp flicks
    but you can do good redstone disgns without repeaters or sticky p it makes it harder if all you do is copy off youtube
    i spent a week designing a auto tree farm for example but it can be done

i don't mind helping if you need it

9. ArticMelon

ArticMelon New Member

Also, sticky pistons can be used to grief. They place it next to the limit, next to a different person's skyblock. They simply turn in on, take a hold of the block, then turn if off, retrieving the block from the other island.

10. matthew fletcher

yeah nut one block is it really that bad

11. ArticMelon

ArticMelon New Member

They can be used continuously if you can use them correctly. Let's say I have a diamond block 3 blocks into my island. He can used multiple sticky pistons to get that diamond block, therefore making my island unsafe.

12. matthew fletcher

how far could you go in tho you would need redstone next to it and you can't build on someone else's island

13. ArticMelon

ArticMelon New Member

You can build next to it. Plus, sticky pistons can be used to duplicate items. Sticky pistons & Slime balls will never be back in skyblock. Find a way to improvise.

14. matthew fletcher

check out my island you will see i have
    auto afk farm
    tree farms auto stone gen

15. Gineley

Gineley New Member

But we need slime blocks for the new update!!! D:

16. Player0949

Player0949 New Member

I have to agree on both sides, because both ways have a + and -. If you take them away, some redstone mechanisms may not be possible to make. On the other side it is also used to glitch and annoy people, so I could really go both ways here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.